This was taken from a recent seminar where Coach Micela spoke to a group of Chiropractors who were studying about Youth Sports Injuries.
Youth Sports Dilemma
1. There are more kids who are active in sports then there are qualified coaches to work with them.
2. Rush for high levels of competition at an earlier age without an established base of training or sport knowledge.
3. Year round playing with little to no time off time between seasons,
4. Increasing demands to receive a College Sports Scholarship.
Youth Sports Solution
1. Parents believing in a Long Term Athletic Plan (Don’t rush the process)
2. Coaches need to seek more knowledge in Sports Biomechanics and Exercise Physiology in order to understand the demands of the sport.
3. Parents and Coaches Goal must be to develop a well rounded Athlete First!
4. Effort and Learning can be as or more important than Outcome alone!